Old February 1st 05, 05:16 AM
Mark Newton

Default Visiting pilot in California later this month

Hi.

I'm an Australian glider pilot visiting the US on business
for a few weeks later this month.

I'm going to be in the LA and San Jose area, and I'd like to
see about doing some flying while I'm there. I've been checking
into the licensing requirements (seems it's easiest to do the
paperwork for a student pilots license then go for some checkrides),
so now I'm trying to find gliderports who might be visitor-friendly,
scenic, and with goodish soaring conditions at this time of year.

I've had recommendations to visit Cal City and Tehachapi near
LA, and possibly Hollister near San Jose.

I have about 350 hours in gliders, I've been doing about 100
hours per year for the last two years, and I hold an Australian
instructor rating. What kind of hoops would I need to jump
through to get my butt into something with wings, and what's
likely to be the best place to do it?

Thanks,

- mark