Old January 2nd 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA 2018 Rules Finish Penalty

John,
You always have great insight. However, any issues with the Uvalde finish in the rain were related to it being 4500' along a 6000' runway rather than in its middle. A few people failed to notice this until finishing and discovered lots of value in their landing flaps.

If the finish line was in the middle of the 6000' runway it's hard to see that a 10 - 500' finish height would be a problem - just land ahead.

The last Worlds I flew transitioned from the zero height finish line to a finish circle with a 200m finish at 5km, which was just fine especially with its 1 point/m low finish penalty.

My only issue with the SSA 800ft finish with its 400ft landout cut-off is the excessive penalty between 400ft and 600ft which is about equivalent to being an hour late on a racing day.

Bob Fletcher 90