Old December 24th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

Default Vra

In fact for Jar (and I assume Far is less or more equal) at VNE the max
gust is only 7.5 m/s, and indeed double at VRA (25 vs 50 fps) Also pay
attention to the velocity at which VRA and VA are calculated, higher
wingloading means usually also a higher VA...
My rule of thumb: when there're no mountains and related phenomena VNE
is probally safe, except for thunderstorms. Of course that'd be
different with those 20 knots thermals in Texas ;-)

schreef:

assuming you flying a certified airplane:

FAR 21.333(c) specifies a 50 fps gust. This is what your Vno speed is
based on. Any faster than that, and penetrating a 50 fps gust will
exceed the G limits of the aircraft and ruin your day. Of course Vne
is faster than Vno so a lower gust velocity would still rip off the
wings or other flight critical component of you glider.

having a complete flight envelope should solve the problem, as the FAR
also points out a Vd (dive) gust line which would be the gust velocity
you could incur at max speed and still make it through.

if you are experimental, unless all the flight envelope info is somehow
available to you and you are sure yours was built right, all bets are
off.

bagmaker wrote:
How does one figure how rough the air is?
Consider that my final glide is happening at the end of the day, just
one or two bubbles of lift remaining, and I am at Vne.
Am I safe at this speed or should I only be going this fast if I am
SURE that not one bubble remains, and no turbulant air will be flown
into?
Surely there is a recommendation on what constitutes "rough air" -or
should I just limit my control input at this speed?

Bagger

--
bagmaker