Old March 28th 05, 10:25 PM
Maule Driver

I did an overnight at Hobby. The controllers were more than helpful
despite my best attempts at screwing up my VFR arrival one rainy, messy
IFR evening. I think it was Raytheon but it could have been Fletcher
(at the south end of one of the runways)... they didn't have tiedowns so
they volunteered to put me in the hangar for the night so my taildragger
didn't get blown off the ramp. They pulled me in and pushed me out - no
fuel. Whatever the overnight fee was it was more than reasonable -
location and services!

Editorial - Secondary airports at big cities and primary airports at
secondary cites generally provide great service to light GA - the
controllers are just working to the standard they have to work to and
while the FBOs vary - they serve just fine. I get free service as often
as charge service - smiles help. I rarely consider the charges out of
line - they have the facility and the location and I have the need.

I've been intimidated and even publicly humiliated by controllers - but
I wasn't operating to standard. If you know what you are doing and can
talk on the radio it all goes well. If you don't, expect to get pushed
around a bit but they will do their best to make it work and you should
do better next time.

My experiences include Westchester, Charlotte, Cleveland, Ft Lauderdale,
Tampa, BWI, Dallas Love, Meigs, Richmond. YMMV but just go for it.

wrote:
I'm planning a trip to Houston in April to pick up some friends. They
will be taking part in an event at the convention center earlier in the
day, so I'm looking for an airport close to downtown. I've taken a look
at Hobby. Any feedback/suggestions?