Old April 30th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default Fuel Flow and Peak EGT

Mike Noel wrote:

That brings up an interesting point. I think the Lycoming recommendation
previously was 75% power for unrestricted leaning. Lately I have seen 65%
as a recommendation. Anyone have any background on the two different
limits?
I've noticed in my O-360-A1A that certain RPM settings (about 2450 in my
case) get a good EGT balance on all cylinders, and aggressive leaning
produces RPM and EGT drops without engine roughness. Is this what the gami
injected engines experience running LOP?

You have a carb, night and day difference. The key is to get all the
cylinders to peak at the same time on the same fuel flow to each
cylinder. In reality what people see is up to a .3 GPH difference
across the various cylinders. Good enough. Keep leaning and you don't
get the roughness because all the cylinders are running at the same
spot. The roughness comes from one or more cylinders essentially
missing and then really not running at all. I don't have GAMI's and I
can run very nicely LOP.