Old August 29th 03, 01:49 AM
Roger Long

Default It's over was: RI tax madness

RI appears to be back pedaling fast. The state sent a letter to AOPA today
saying that it was clumsy wording and the provision was never intended to
apply to residents of other states.

It was intended to "help" state residents by letting them buy an airplane
that the kept and used out of state without having to pay the 7% state use
tax until they brought it in to the state and used it as described.

--
Roger Long
Roger Long om wrote in

ammunition
in getting it overturned. Other northeast pilots might want to do

something
similar.

-------------------

Thank you for taking time to discuss the emergency tax regulation. I will
be informing our 25 club members that flights to RI in club aircraft are
prohibited until this matter is resolved. Although I understand that the
provision only applies to overnight stopovers or flights between RI
airports, I would not want a member faced with the choice between assuming
an economic liability equal to 7% of the aircraft's cost and taking off in
poor weather or with a mechanical problem. I also would not want their
choice of an emergency diversion airport effected by knowledge of this
provision.

I am confident that this tax provision will eventually be overturned by

the
courts, even if common sense does not prevail. In the meantime, we would

be
required to carry any tax judgement as a liability on our books which

would
impair our ability to borrow money or sell the aircraft. We could also be
exposed to legal costs defending against any action by the state to

collect.

I look forward to a successful resolution of this matter so that we, and
other GA pilots, will again feel free to fly to RI and spend our dollars

in
your state.

--
Roger Long