Old July 13th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default SAFE Winch Launching

On Jul 13, 2:45*am, Dave Martin wrote:
Bill

The arguments are now in an endless repetative cycle fired by the theories
you propose and the convenient practicalities of the European systems, also
used by older US winches *- still in use today.

There is only one solution the challenge is there -- get the winch built
with the new technology and at a competetive price and put it on the
market.

Like new glider technology if it works people will use it.

Sadly much as we would like to do it we cannot change overnight.

Look how long it has taken to get the EB28 technology into a practical
aircraft --- but at what cost and how many of us can actually afford it?

Dave

*At 07:15 13 July 2009, Derek Copeland wrote:

At 21:30 12 July 2009, David Chapman wrote:

But other nonsense posted here . please help me, *...

A standard car auto gearbox has some magic power to automatically

adjust
the torque to the car wheels on reaching a hill, without changing gear,
road speed or engine setting? What magic is that?

David.

Bill Daniels has some very strange ideas as to how an automatic gearbox
works! As far as I am concerned, it is a device to allow a motor vehicle
to move off from rest, to smoothly change gears, and to stop without
stalling the engine, without a driver operated mechanical clutch. It is
not cruise control!

In that changing gear with a mechanical gearbox and clutch would give
dangerous short term losses of power, an automatic gearbox is an

essential
component for any winch or towcar.

Derek Copeland

We are doing exactly that - and it's working! It's what has the Brits
so agitated.