Old November 18th 03, 09:35 PM
George A. Graham

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, BernadetteTS wrote:

I guess this is an opinion thread but what happens to a rear engine
mounted directly behind the pilot in a crash?

I can offer one data point. I flopped down hard enough to brake the
nose landing gear linkage, during my worst landing. We stopped very
fast on the runway.

No prop or engine damage, as they are in the back.

I replaced a rod end, and we flew home with a nasty scrape under
the nose.

A similar landing incident killed two neighbors when their front
engined bird collapsed the nose gear on landing, which lead to
a fire from which they did not escape.

I like mine in the back.

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E