Old March 5th 05, 10:04 PM
Eric Greenwell

With the requirement by the SRA rules committee for mounted FAA
approved ELT's for all SSA contests in 2006 I think it would be
helpfull if those that have them would sha
- Make and Model they have.
- Installation location of unit and antenna.
- Recommendations for those yet to do it.
It would be nice if those of us yet to do it could learn from those
that have done this.

I plan to wait until May 2006 to ask this question. That will give the
other pilots plenty of time to investigate the options, and for the
latest equipment to become avaialble. In the meantime, I believe I my
C-91 ELT (not approved for 2006 contest use, unfortunately) will provide
most of the functionality I want.

If the contest requirement is the only reason a pilot has for installing
one, I suggest he also wait. Even if you'd like to have an ELT now, you
might consider waiting until the newest ELTs are on the shelves and
people have some experience with them. They are currently much more
expensive, but provide much better locating ability, and will be
actively monitored after 2009, unlike the C-91a units.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA