Old May 12th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default MEA oddity near Harrisburg, PA?

The sectional chart may help, but you can find the law that
establishes an airway, each one has a public statement. In
that discussion you will find many answers.
If you want to see real odd altitudes, look around Key West
for the safe quadrangle altitude, it is about 14,000 last
time I looked. Why? Because they sometimes have a tethered
balloon and radar up looking at the drug smugglers.

"David Kazdan" wrote in message
. com...
| Similarly, there's one from Madison, Wisconsin to Chicago
with something
| like a 10,000 MEA. The best I can tell is that there's
one hill in the
| flats of Wisconsin that limits the signal, but it's not
obvious.

| Journeyman wrote:
| I have the current Jepp LO 47 chart and there's
something odd around
| the SEG (Sellinsgrove) VOR (just north of HAR). The
MEAs around the
| VOR are in the 4000' range, except for V106 to RASHE,
which is 14000'.

| I sent a note to Jepp querying this. They claim it's
correct, based
| on navaid reception. I still find this hard to swallow.
14,000???
| C'mon. And if so, why isn't there a MOCA for the
segment? There's
| a 6000 MEA / 3900T for the next segment.
|
| Anyone have a NOAA chart? Does it have the same MEA?
Anyone know
| the MVA for the area? Anyone have a topo/sectional map
of the area
| to explain the mysterious navaid reception issue?
|
| Morris (who cannot be the first person to have noticed
this)