Old February 21st 05, 04:40 PM
John Szalay

"P

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:03:10 +0100, Rob van Riel
postulated :

As I recal that was a publicity stunt to demonstrate the raw power of
the catapults. A model T Ford that spent all of a mile in the air,
wasn't it?

When the car launch photo appeared on the net, this post came soon after
it..

Subject: Slow day on the Carrier slow day.jpg [1/3]
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:55:49 GMT
From: "Mike Henley"
Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

"Quokka" wrote in message
.. .
I am not too sure what carrier this is, or what the reason was, but it

must
get pretty boring onboard a carrier sometimes...

This was the USS Enterprise returning from our 1978 WestPac cruise. Most
squadrons in the airwing have a "staff car" to drive the squadron members
to the Navy Exchange, club, front gate, or back to the pier. At the end of
the cruise the squadron sells the car to another squadron on the carrier
coming over. This car was beyond repair. the squadron CO got permission
from the ships CO to load the car aboard before we left the Philippines and
returned home. Tickets were sold to raise money for the Combined Federal
Campaign Fund. The winning ticket got to be the "cat officer" and launch
the car. On a no-fly day everyone gathered on the flight deck to see how
far the car would go (it had a VERY POOR glide ratio). I didn't have the
winning ticket, and was standing to the left of the tractor, just outside
the left of the picture. As I recall, it was responsible for a large
donation to the CFC Fund.

Mike
==