Old December 12th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How to get maximum height on a winch launch?

1) Listen to your instructor.

2) Do nothing different, you are already acheiving beyond average
heights, changing your current habits is maybe looking for a problem.
If I could get 1700 feet on 3300 feet of cable I would change
absolutely nothing. Look no further.

Bob

Dan G wrote:
I'm interested in learning how to get the maximum possible height on a
winch launch, without compromising safety in any way.

This question has two parts really - how should the pilot fly the
launch (pretty much how should he operate the elevator during the
launch), how fast should the glider fly, and how should the winch
driver feed the power in? For the sake of argument, let's assume the
glider is a K13.

For reference, I fly from an airfield with a 3,300' long cable, and the
maximum height I achieve repeatedly is 1,700'. Headwind typically goes
from around 10kts at the ground to something like (I estimate) 20kts at
height.