Old December 15th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

Default How to get maximum height on a winch launch?

Martin Gregorie wrote:
Dan G wrote:

and for K21s
winch drivers are briefed to give full throttle the whole way up (winch
is c.300bhp).

That sounds excessive to me. The only glider that gets full power all
the way is an ASH-25.

It shouldn't, since an ASH-25 is a brown weak link, not a black one.
Many clubs, pilots and winch drivers ignore this, but at their peril.
When I am driving I will refuse to launch an ASH-25 unless someone I
trust will confirm to me that it has the right link in place. 60:1 does
not bring immortality.

Ian