Old February 18th 12, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default New Butterfly Vario

Well, just going on a look-see, it looks like cloud base in one of the
traces was around 17,200 MSL with a top of climb of 24,740 MSL and, in the
other, around 16,000 MSL with a top of climb of 34,480.

So... How'd I do? I'm also thinking that your altitudes might be in meters
and if that's the case, then it might be...

Cloud Base: 1,720 meters, Top of climb: 2,447 meters for the first flight,
and, for the second,

Cloud Base: 1,600 meters, Top of climb: 3448 meters.

Since I can't paste a picture in here, I sent you the Excel file with the
traces included on Sheet 3. Please let us know if such a quick look came
close.

"Dan Marotta" wrote in message
Chris, I'm going to try to analyze the height trace using the graphical
functions in Microsoft Excel. I'll look for a sudden increase in rate of
climb and make a guess from there. I might say in advance that I'm not
hopeful, but this should be a fun exercise.

Dan

BTW, I received your IGC files.

"Chris Nicholas" wrote in message
Dan, see your emails. Regards - Chris