Old December 18th 03, 04:16 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Mike Rapoport wrote:
Ice is "known" to be present anytime there is visible moisture in the liquid
state and the temp is below freezing. There will ALWAYS be icing under
these conditions. Always, no exceptions.

Depends on how you interpret icing. I've flown for more than an hour
through ice crystals that were visible in the air, but which did not
accumulate on the airframe of my C-182. If I'm not accumulating ice on
the airframe, I don't consider it to be "icing conditions." Same as
flying through snow. I've flown through snow for literally hours and
never accumulated any on the airframe.

Matt