Old September 26th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Engine dryers

wrote:

One comment on humidty levels in hangers. In my hanger in the spring
(Michigan) the humidity gets so high that the floor is actually wet.
Also the writing on a white board runs! It seems that the moisture
comes up from the concrete floor.

Regards,
Jerry

I hear you about the moisture. I used to live in a much more humid
climate (Huntsville, Al) and we had a similar issue about humidity,
especially in Winter. When I first bought my plane, I had to wait for a
hangar and thus was left on the tarmac. When a hangar became
available, I began to notice that the plane seemed muggier than before,
when left outside. I began to notice that the radios, etc. began to act
up when I first started a flight. After a while things would clear up
and work fine. It finally dawned on me that inside the hangar in
winter, etc. I never got the warming effect of the Sun (greenhouse I
guess). Moisture was collecting inside the plane at a much higher
level. You could even smell it. I think in many ways staying outside is
better. I often use to pull my plane outside the hangar even when I
wasn't flying just to get that sunshine on the plane to warm it up and
drive the humidity out. On many a cold day, it was nice and warm
inside the plane once you got inside. Those big windows really let the
Sun in and warmed things up even on the coldest of days.

Regards,
Bud