Old October 22nd 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default ASH 26E VS DG 808C

Kilo Charlie wrote:
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Start the engine, climb a bit, and go back to soaring. You will be able to
do cross-country flights on the days the unpowered folk don't dare leave
the field.

Ah Hah.....so you DO admit that having the motor is an advantage! ;-)

Admit? Admit? I've claimed and promoted that for 10 years! It's not an
advantage for everyone, however, as I discuss in detail in my "Guide"
(see below for a copy). I do a lot more soaring in a lot more places
because I have a self-launching sailplane; unfortunately, the cost
(mostly) and complexity of motorgliders keep plenty of pilots from
joining me. The electric powered gliders are addressing the complexity
issue, but the not the cost.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org