Old June 9th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default Lycoming to approve 93 octane auto gas for O-360 & IO-360

wrote:
Due to the problems of getting 100LL in many places, Lycoming is
seeking FAA approval for the standard compression engines to be able
to use 93 octane auto gas. Link to avweb article bellow. Sounds like
good news, since I have an O-360. Maybe airports will start to carry
it.

If you're O-360 happens to be in a Cherokee, you can already get an auto
gas STC. Otherwise, I wouldn't hold my breath on this Lycoming move. The
autogas spec they're trying to get approved can contain oxygenates (mainly
ethanol, now that MTBE is gone). The problem will be getting STCs for the
airframes. 40 yr, old fuel systems are not built to handle the ethanol that
is showing up in auto gas these days. It wouldn't be easy to develop an
airframe STC, which is illustrated by the fact that no one has done it, even
though ethanol has been a growing problem with using auto gas STCs for many
years.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)