Old April 2nd 12, 05:54 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,alt.history.british
Jim Wilkins[_2_]

Default B-17s straffing & IJN Aoba, & UK POWs

"a425couple" wrote in message
"The big bombers skip-bomb from between 75 and 250 feet with
delayed-action fused 500-lb. bombs. A direct hit on AOBA explodes
two Type 93 "Long Lance" torpedoes stored aboard and sets the ship
afire while the B-17's .50-cal. machine guns strafe her decks." I'll
admit, I did not know the B-17s were used for skip bombing. ...

General Kenney mentioned a B-17 that flew so low to fire into the
embrasure of a beach bunker that its tail scraped the sand when it
pulled out.

They were pretty free to do anything that got results out there, and
those who complained about broken regulations were sent home with
"combat fatigue".

jsw