Old March 6th 19, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Botched handoffs

I was teaching my son to fly and on one of his early landings, he lined up between the taxiway and the runway! I said something like, “let me help you a little” and ruddered us over to the runway then turned loose of the stick thinking he would finish the landing. He thought I was still flying, so.............nobody was flying! I thought that Grob would never stop bouncing. The G-103 twin two has one hell of a strong gear!
Lesson learned, ever sense, I have used what I learned in the USAF where I say, “I’ve got it “ and shake the stick! If I’m giving control to you, I say “ you’ve got it and YOU shake the stick! Shaking the stick let’s both pilots know the other guy is on the controlls before you get off. I believe this situation could be what allowed the aircraft to get so out of control in a recent Duo accident.
Food for thought,
JJ