Old March 8th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Botched handoffs

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 4:37:48 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
I would like to review the several ways that a handoff of control can go awry.

Here's my best botched handoff, so far (knock on wood).

I was flying with an instructor in the backseat. A very strong quartering crosswind had blown up while we were in the air. Last flight of the day, so I was planning to stop a bit past the launch point (closer to the hangar). There was a group of people standing abeam the launch point.

I had started to round out ~15 feet above the ground, with an extreme crab and (it seemed) pointed right at the group of people. Due to the crosswind, ground speed was very slow. The grass field and the slow ground speed made it difficult to judge the ground track and the offset from the crowd.

Instructor says 'My aircraft', slams the spoilers shut, and pushes the nose down, then says 'Your aircraft'. WTF? Landed okay. We laughed. Instructor says, 'yeah... I should have finished the flare. Sorry.'.

Other examples of botched handoffs?

Back in Germany a student didn't make progress with his instructor, he got nothing but criticism on his patterns. After one flight he got and laughed for 10 min. Told us he'd had it with all the crud he got from the back seat and, on downwind, just let go of the stick. Low and behold, the glider made a nice turn to base and then to final. The airbrakes came out for a perfect landing. "See, his instructor said proudly, you finally got it."
Herb