Old July 16th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

Default How similar are the 1-34 and 2-32 to fly?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Your responses are interesting. The reason I posted this question is
because it was recommended (by a CFIG and former LS1f owner) that the
2-32 would be a good ship to use for transitioning to my new (to me)
LS1f. It doesn't sound like it will handle much like the LS1f. I've
spoken to many current and former LS1f drivers, and they all tell the
same story regarding it's handling. Light, responsive, excellent
control harmony, docile and a joy to fly. This doesn't sound like your
descriptions of how the 2-32 flies.

The things I'm most concerned about climbing into the LS1f is the CG
tow hook (take-offs) and energy management during the landing phase.
My own approach to transition was to get some time in a G103 or an
ASK21.

What do you guys think? 2-32, or something glass like the 103 or 21?

Thanks.

Definitely not a 2-32!

Our club has 2 ASK21's and we had an AcroII that we sold. We have a G102
Club III and a LS4(with CG hook)

Our pilots who are competent in the K21 have no problem transitioning to the
102 or the LS4, with a proper briefing. Be sure you are briefed by a CFIG
who flies a CG hook equipped glider on aerotow. The K21s have a CG hook but
it is possible to burn the rope in two by the nosewheel--we tried it a few
times and gave up!

The briefing needs to emphasize two points, and a dual flight is helpful to
practice these.

On takeoff, the glider needs to be kept on a short leash!---In other words,
scrupulous attention to correct tow position, laterally and vertically. Trim
properly and let the glider lift off on its own. The more sensitive single
place will balloon much more easily than the K21.
There is much less tendency for auto correction of malposition than with a
nose hook, but the pilot can correct position easily.

On landing---nail the glidepath solidly with small timely corrections on the
spoilers, and keep the airspeed nailed with the elevator. Then, on roundout,
transition gently to the landing attitude (about same as Vminsink) and keep
it there--(this minimizes airspeed excursion and ballooning). The stick is
much more sensitive on landing, so its use must be minimized. Adjust the
touchdown point with the spoiler.

That's about it----have fun!

Hartley Falbaum
CFIG USA