Old January 2nd 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger[_4_]

Default You Know You're Old Dept.

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:38:39 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 19:29:04 -0500, Roger
wrote:

And then there was .... 2000 plus on the radio. Boy, did they ever
have it wrong!

Anyone here remember that one?

Don't remember that, but the one that makes me shake my head was "The
21st Century" on CBS. Sponsored by Union Carbide, hosted by Walter
Cronkite. Kind of a follow up to "The 20th Century" documentary
series. 1967-1970

He'd go into labs, show the latest and neatest stuff and predict what
we'd have now. I remember 3 items specifically.

Flat TV's that we could hang on our walls

Prosthetic limbs that would read nerve impulses

IC silicon chips.

I remember the last one clearly. They had a chip with 3 transistors
on it, and were working on one that would have 100 transistors. Soon,
you'd be able to have a working computer in your pocket.

Some of the stuff hasn't come to pass - like the dishes you wouldn't
wash, you'd just melt them and re-cast them. Or the typewriter that
would use a laser to burn mistakes off the paper. But for wild
guesses they did pretty well.

2000 Plus was a sci fi show probably from around 1950, give or take a
couple of years, but I'm pretty sure it was before 1950. OTOH it was
2000 *Plus* and they didn't say plus how much. I'd guess it was about
the "Tom Corbit" time.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com