Old July 23rd 03, 01:59 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Kirk wrote:
Anyone ever throw a weight in the back to get within allowable weight and
balance?

Or in the front (our usual), or any place where it's needed.

Sure. It's no problem. Just, if you need it to be at the right
station for a critical reason, make sure it's an accurate weight
and make sure it's strapped down so it can't relocate itself
at a critical moment. We once had a dog, thought to be strapped
in the rear seat, relocate herself to the baggage compartment
on short final. Fortunately in the plane we were flying it only
improved the flare, in today's plane it would be ruinous.

Just identify something you can use (dogfood, driveway salt,
sand) toss it in and strap it down. If the plane you're flying
doesn't allow secure strapping of a purchased bag, throw 'em in
a duffel and strap that down.

If you need 20 lbs to be "just within", personally I'd throw
30 or 40 lbs in the baggage and be comfortably within. The
W&B tends to be a little inaccurate as planes age (unrecorded
instrument or radio changes, engine accessory changes etc)

Best,
Sydney