Old August 7th 04, 11:25 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:21:13 -0800, Dale wrote:

For you guys flying injected engines.

I'm flying a Cessna P206C with the Continental IO-520. It quite often
will quit on rollout after landing. I'm being told that it is probably
vapor lock causing an interruption in fuel flow. I'm not convinced.
The ambient temps are in the 60s to 70s. The airplane is being used to
haul skydivers so it's a climb from 250 MSL to 13000MSL, then a power
descent back down for the landing with the engine well leaned. Cowl
flaps are opened on base or final once the speed is down to 100IAS or so
(this is being done to help prevent the vapor lock). Today the airplane
cutout right after liftoff, it was as if the throttle had been pulled
back, I noticed the fuel flow was fluctating at about 1/2 or less the
normal flow rate for takeoff. Only lasted a moment and power returned
before I could get the boost pump on. It then ran normally up to 13K.
An inspection has not found anything in the fuel system (filters,
screens, injectors, etc). Again, I was told it was probably vapor lock.
I'm not convinced. G

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does your injected engine quit
on rollout? Have you experienced vapor lock during high power
operation? or at anytime other than start?

I also fly a turbo-charged P206 that doesn't suffer from the "vapor
lock" problem.

Dale,

My fuel injected engine is a Lycoming IO360 and the only time it quit on
rollout was after I had landed at Leadville, CO (9928' MSL). I attributed
that to the mixture being too rich for that altitude.

Other times when it "almost quit" on rollout were when the idle setting
required adjustment.

So perhaps checking your idle and mixture adjustments would be a place to
start.

--ron