Old July 8th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Wing play

Does anyone know if there are certification standards for this kind of
ground handling force? I see people manhandling the wingtips, but I've
never heard of damage as a result, so I suspect the designers expect
it and design accordingly.

I believe that FAR23 and JAR22 call for resistance to something like
100 lbs or the equivalent kN applied fore and aft at the wingtip.
However, those standards also allow for less resistance if the lower
loads can be justified. My guess is that lighter ships like the PW5
are so certified.

Thanks, Bob K.