Old July 1st 05, 09:28 PM
Chuck

Default Losing TIS Sites

Got this response from AOPA re the loss of TIS sites:
"Quote"
The next site slated for the ASR 11 upgrade is in Fla in Nov., and the
next is in Jan 2006. We are continuing to identify all the information
we can on this issue and develop the best strategy for this situation.
I can assure you that safety in aviation is important to AOPA and once
we've completed our research, our official position will be known. I
can also assure you that those working on this issue are hearing your
comments and concerns.
"End of Quote"

For information, when the FAA upgrades to the ASR 11 we lose the TIS
from that radar. The ASR 11 COULD have TIS but the FAA chose not to
include the software to save money. We are losing the TIS when they
upgrade to the ASR 11 radar and it is not necessary.

I emplore you to write to AOPA on this subject to encourage them to
lobby for this important SAFETY upgrade to the ASR 11 sites. A letter
to FAA might also help.

Thanks,

Chuck Mealey
Archer 2185B