Old December 25th 19, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glen Kelley[_2_]

Default Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

I was part owner of a V2AX and currently own an ASW-27.

The V2AX was really too small in the cockpit for me, but once airborne the handling was so nice I didn't care. The V2 had the best slow speed handling and thermalling capability of anything I have flown. The flaperons gave excellent roll rate down to stall speed. Against that, landing flap is unimpressive compared to the -27. The 4 inch wheel and tost brake do not provide the ground clearance and stopping ability of the -27.

I can't compare the two with full water, although handling is excellent for both. Dry, on the ridge, the 27 is superior. I have flown one against the other dry.

The -27 provides superior cockpit room and comfort to the 2AX. Some people really prefer the front opening canopy of the 27 to the side opening Ventus. I find it not a deal breaker either way.

I found the conventional flaps on the 27 to be superior for stuffing the glider into short fields and over obstacles. The 5 inch wheel with disc brake provides excellent ground clearance and stopping ability.

The slow speed handling of the 27 is good, but the roll rate and ease of coordination suffer in comparison to the Ventus - not bad, just not as good.

The flap handle on the V2 is by your left thigh, making it difficult to see what position the flaps are in. Against that, once initially trimmed, stick pressure equals wrong flap setting. Very intuitive.

The flap handle on the 27 is easy to see, but provides less pitch feedback than the V2.

Overall, I rate the V2 superior in weak conditions and the 27 better in avg to strong conditions. They are both sweet flying machines!