Old July 2nd 05, 06:00 AM
soarski

I have never been in that predicament. Never seen a cable break
or lost power at below 200 ft or the tow rope on aero tow.
I do have 1000s of hours and acro time.

If I would want to land downwind on the runway I was taking off
I could be inclined to just kick in full rudder, and make the 180 Turn
via a "Hammerhead" I think it is called a "Kehre" in German, or a
"Turn? There would be mostly rudder work required, some back preasure
on coming out of a dive following the wingover, which is really half a
spin. Has anyone ever seen that done? Actually, come to think of it, I
have, in an airshow, a long time ago in a clipped wing Cub.

I will have to try at altitude, what will need more altitude to
recover.

DB

Pushing over forward very hard after cable break, you could get into a
negative flight regime, possibly into an inverted spin?

Don Johnstone wrote:
At 21:06 01 July 2005, wrote:
Yeah, I tried a 'yaw string' AoA setup, and while it
did show AoA, it
was extremely sensitive to yaw, and wasn't really in
the correct
position to help a pilot while thermalling or during
landing. Plus the
range from 'cruise' to 'min sink' to 'too slow' wasn't
very big (on my
LS6, using about 8 inch long 'AoA strings') - less
than 2 inches, if I
remember right, and the ends are always moving making
holding a
particular AoA a bit problematical.

Plus one of the strings (the upwind one, obviously)
was always getting
caught in the canopy...

Heck, JJ, I figure that since the F-4 came equipped
with both a real
live mil-spec yaw string (there is actually a hole
in front of the
windscreen for the string to exit after being tied
off inside the nose
- and a black stripe painted in front of the canopy
for reference) and
a really nice visual and aural AoA system, we should
have the same
thing in a glider.

An aural 'fast - on speed - SLOW' AoA tone that would
replace the audio
vario when the gear is down would be nice...

JJ, it was 3 to 8 units until the jet started to fly
again - pointy end
first. Otherwise, the F-4 departure bold face was
(I think...) 'STICK
- FORWARD, AILERONS AND RUDDER - NEUTRAL, IF NOT RECOVERED
MAINTAIN
FULL FORWARD STICK AND DEPLOY DRAG CHUTE'

And I think the the spin recovery bold face was: 'STICK
- MAINTAIN FULL
FORWARD, AILERONS - FULL WITH SPIN (TURN NEEDLE), AIRCRAFT
UNLOADED -
AILERONS NEUTRAL'

Departures were interesting, but spins were a bad thing!

Off to fly!

Kirk

Differs from the SEPECAT Jaguar where the action is
much simpler. SEIZE BLACK AND YELLOW HANDLE, PULL HARD
:-)