Old February 1st 21, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Default USA automated panel-cutting service?

I've done four different panels for my Pegasus as the instruments have been upgraded. All were done with an accurate 2D layout plan showing X-Y coordinates of all instrument holes and screw locations. All were done on a hand cranked milling machine with X-Y digital readouts. Tools used for the holes were typical 135 degree split-point drill bits and 57 and 80 mm hole saws. Some hand finishing was required, like making the cutout for the Kohlsmann adjustment knob on the altimeter. The first three panels were either aluminum or fiberglass with a carbon layer on the face, and the last panel was a 3 mm carbon plate found on the internet for about $80. I've been happy with the results, and have done a couple of other panels for other pilots (ASW-20, Discus). But both of those were done after the owners provided me with the X-Y coordinates and a panel blank. The flange on the ASW-20 panel wasn't a big deal, as I just cut out a backing plate from particle board that held the flange above the milling table and allowed me to clamp the panel down with the typical "dogs" used for normal milling operations. I hesitated to go with the waterjet or laser cutting services because of the delamination and burning issues referenced above. Plus, I kind of enjoyed the challenge. Especially since it all worked out and I got it right on the first try each time. YMMV