Old October 23rd 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Mxs wins.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I doubt you need to upgrade your hotel's Internet service even to get
email
and newsgroups *through your own ISP*.

Our hotel DSL lines are provided by Qwest. Our ISP is Mediacom, a
cable-modem company (which we have at home). It would be an extra
charge each month for email and newsgroup access through Qwest at the
hotel

So use your Mediacom accounts instead. I can use my email and newsgroup
accounts provided by my ISP from whatever Internet connection I choose. It
need not be my home DSL connection. I doubt your situation is different.

[...]
Google Groups actually isn't half bad, once you get used to it. It
doesn't offer the same level of filtering as Outlook (Express), but
I've only kill-filed one person in my 8+ years here, so that doesn't
bother me. And the search features can be quite valuable.

Hey, you're the one that called the "stupid Google Groups". Larry was just
trying to point out the error in your claim that you have no other
alternative.

If we're talking about Martin Hotze, I don't recall him offering me
free access to anything. I could be wrong, of course.

You are wrong. He did offer. Here's one post (there may be others):
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...dea2fc404af7aa

Web-based email takes a bit getting used to, but after a while it's
kind of nice having your email stored on a central server that is
accessible from anywhere, rather than downloading your email onto your
computer, ala Outlook (Express).

That's true. Most people who need access to email from multiple sources use
either web mail (as you do), or some other server-side solution (such as
Exchange), or they put their email message store on a USB drive so that they
can carry it with them from place to place. Any of those solutions work
fine.

If you are happy using web mail, then that's fine. The point is not that we
are trying to get you to switch. We are just trying to point out to you
that it's incorrect to claim that you don't have newsgroup or email access
from your hotel.

Pete