Old February 13th 14, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FES in Contests

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:34:33 PM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
I enjoyed reading the article by Francois Pin over on the Soaring Cafe about his experience racing the Alisport Silent 2 Electro at Moriarty last year.

I would think that having a "bullet proof" propulsion system would give a significant competitive advantage over a "pure glider" by allowing one to significantly stretch the "safety envelope". Think low saves, flying over unlandable terrain, crossing large blue holes, etc.

I doubt that this advantage is reflected in sailplane handicaps. (Note that Francois believes that the FES drag is near nil.)

I know this has been discussed in this forum OLC. However, sanctioned contests are another kettle of fish.

Comments?

Lou

Nothing is "bullet proof". It is just an illusion.