Old February 6th 04, 09:44 PM
Steven Polczynski

Hi People

I am an A&P student and read what was posted on the de-pressurization
question. You guys did well in answering Guy's question.

Orval: said that it might fog up. Well, If your talking about a slow
decompression no it won't but if it is a sudden decompression it will fog up
and there will be an immediate drop in temperature. And it if the plane is
high enough it can kill instantly. Auto pilot will not necessarily do
anything. ex. last year a Learjet crashed after it ran out of fuel. the
pressure release valve failed suddenly and the windows fooged over and the
crew died. the auto pilot kept the plane on course until it ran out of fuel
and crashed. No big chunks of fuselage suddenly ripped from the plane.

tony: I single gunshot can cause major damage or not depending on where it
penetrated the fuselage. If it goes through a window (depending on caliber)
it can make a small hole and eventually get worse or it can blow out the
whole windoe and cause major damage. unless there is major structural
damage that maintenance doesn't know about it still would not cause a gaping
7 foot hole. It might create a hole that would get worse at 700 MPH and it
would also decompress the cabin and fog up. the passengers next to the hole
would most likely die instantly. the masks would release but not everyone
would be alive to use them.

Obviously since I am not a Professional but merely a student in AMT school I
would not take my word as gospel. But I have gone through some classes that
covered such subjects. The learjet mentioned earlier was talked about in
class.

thanks

hope I didn't offend anyone
"Guy Lux" wrote in message
om...
Often in films, when a plane flying at high altitude has its window
shot out, it seems to experience major turbulence and/or seem to dive
before it is stabilised.

I can't understand why a load of air rushing out of the pressurised
cabin would do this in *real* situations, does it actually happen?

Any explanations?

Guy