Old February 3rd 04, 12:18 AM
Thomas Schoene

Jim Doyle wrote:
Has anyone noticed the Union Flags on the RAF's C-17's? Is it me, or
are those on the starboard forward fuselage upside-down?!

Surely not upside-down but rather front-to-back?

If British practice is the same as US, the rule for aircraft is to paint the
flag as though it were on flying a staff, with the flag streaming aft from
the nose. That would make it appear backwards when displayed on the
starboard side of the aircraft.

May be they're in distress?

Heh. :-)

Every now andd then someone trolls the military newsgroups claiming that the
fact that Us soldiers wear the flag "backwards" on their right shoulder is a
sign of eveil cforces at work. (Not your intent, I know.)
"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)