Old November 27th 04, 07:33 PM

I was hoping to get an answer from Dudley. Our plane has a Scott
tailwheel. When you talk about a hung up tailwheel spring, are you
talking about the small spring internal to the tailwheel. Should the
tailwheel release in such a situation?

As to your question regarding if the tailwheel "lead" my foot, I think
it may have. I was actually a little confused, when I think back, as to
what was going on with my feet! Not that there was any time to think
when it happened. Not sure if the swerve happened the exact instance the
tailwheel touched, but I think that is a good possibility.

Tom

In article et,
says...
If I remember right, (and that would be a minor miracle :-)the Cruiser
came with a free castoring tailwheel I think, but it's been a long time
:-)) Do you have a Scott or a Maule on the airplane, or the original
tailwheel?

If it's the original, with your experience and the wind you are
describing, it sounds very much like a hung up tailwheel spring that
kinked out on you then released as the full weight of the airplane
centered in the "new direction". It's really hard to tell, and the
answer would be in your memory on how the pedals felt at the exact
instant the airplane swerved to the right. If you think back, did the
pedal LEAD your foot, and did the airplane swerve at the exact instant
the tail contacted the runway? This would be a clue if you could
remember that!
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
for email; take out the trash