Old December 13th 04, 12:44 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:22:05 -0800, Lyle wrote:

snipped for brevity

Then there will probably be developed a ASW Version of the Osprey, if
you ask me the Osprey is the most logical assest we have to replace
the C-2 Greyhound, E-2 Hawkeye, and S-3 Vikeing, and Tanker aircraft
with a common platform.
JMO

I would agree that the Osprey has the potential to do the job.
Question is whether or not the Powers That Be (in either the RN or
USN) will ever commit to the money (a rather large sum, I would guess)
to aquire the airframes and necessary electronics.

For the time being there does not seem to be much of a major sub
threat to the carrier battle group that cannot be dealt with by
current ASW assets (air, surface, and subsurface). But times change.

Bill Kambic