Old December 13th 04, 06:34 PM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:21:11 +0000, Peter Kemp
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:22:05 -0800, Lyle wrote:

Then there will probably be developed a ASW Version of the Osprey, if
you ask me the Osprey is the most logical assest we have to replace
the C-2 Greyhound, E-2 Hawkeye, and S-3 Vikeing, and Tanker aircraft
with a common platform.
JMO

Interesting. I'm of the opinion myself that for the USN's purposes,
the best replacement for all of these is another production run of
E-2, plus an updated C-2 (turboprop powered, naturally) fitted out as
required for the S-3 and tanker missions.

Two problems with the E-2, and they're called "props." Nobody likes
them on a flight deck (for obvious reasons). Peformance wise, though,
you might be right.

I never flew the S-3 but had friends that did. From what they tell me
it did the job reasonably well. Problems were more likely to come
from Air Wing types who knew nothing about ASW or its problems and had
no desire to learn.

I just don't see the extra complexity of the VTOL as a good thing for
a navy that is committed to CTOL carriers.

You're probably right.

Now for the RN, there may well be some use in an AEW/Tanker Osprey,
but IMO it's unlikely to happen. More likely a Merlin will get a
radome, and we'll do without organic tankers :-(

The cost of the Osprey is so high that I don't see it being a viable
candidate for anything other than the specialized missions it is
already slated for.

Could there also be an operational problem with trying to tank from an
Osprey? Those rotor/prop blades are VERY large and would disturb a
LOT of air. I have seen photos of aircraft tanking from Marine
KC-130s so it can be done. Still, the 130 prop looks a lot smaller
than the Osprey prop.

Bill Kambic