Old October 19th 11, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Default Who is responsible?

"If the gliderport is operated unsafely, then you need to
find another place to fly.
Fred "

Since many of us operate out of club environments, I would argue that
if a gliderport is operated unsafely, it is your responsibility to try
to change that, not to just walk away. Even a commercial operation
that has unsafe, or perceived unsafe practices is worth trying to help
shore up the safety side of things.

As president of a soaring club, I can say for certain that the most
common statement people make is "You should do X for the club..."
Replace X with whatever you feel like. The point being, people tend
to want someone else to take responsibility for initiating change.

If you want the safety culture to change at your club or operation,
find a way to lead that change. That's really taking responsibility
for your own safety and helping out others.

Morgan