Old December 11th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Parachute 20 year limit

"Tuno" wrote in message
Base jumpers jump off clutching the drogue chute in their hand and
let it go to deploy the chute.

Right! And if a round opened faster than a square, they would do it
with a round at the other end of the "drogue" chute, which is not a
drogue chute, it's a *pilot* chute.

I am far from an expert on this subject. I have only used a chute once and
it was a round one. However, I live in Idaho not far from the "Perrine
Bridge." Having watched the base jumper I come to the conclusion that the
jumpers choose the "square" chute because of its' controllability. (You
don't want to end up in the water.)

The Perrine Bridge is one of the few places that is open to jumpers
24/7/365.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iYzChw0plc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU0q44RJsLg

Wayne