Old September 15th 04, 07:49 AM
Robert A. Bonda

Thanks to your helpful advice, I wrote this step by step how to which
others can follow which shows what I attempted in order to install a
Citabria or Aeronca taildragging airplane into Microsoft Flight
Simulator 2002 (sans the cub sound):

ONE DOZEN STEPS TO INSTALL A CITABRIA or AERONCA TAILDRAGGER INTO
MSFS2002:
1. Note the three main flight simulator add-on download sites:
http://www.avsim.com
http://www.flightsim.com
http://www.simviation.com
And, pick one, e.g., simviation & read their instructions, e.g.:
http://www.simviation.com/acinstall.htm
2. Open up the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 folder on your
computer:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\aircraft
Note the installed aircraft & the four sub-folders for each
aircraft:
model, panel, sound, Texture
3. Create a new directory for flight-simulator downloads, e.g.:
mkdir C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Fs2002\downloads\citabria_7eca
mkdir C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ
4. Search for the desired airplane on the chosen web site:
http://www.simviation.com/search.html
I searched for "Citabria" and failed to find this
taildragger.
I then searched for "Aeronca Champion" & found the link
below.
5. Go to that Aeronca link & choose the largest of the available
downloads:
http://www.simviation.com/fs2002props31.htm
FS2002 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
This FSDSv2 project includes moving parts including rolling
wheels, transparent textures (not reflective) and a pilot
figure.
A panel based on a photo is included. By Paul Clawson
(464K).
ftp://63.217.28.218/1props/Champv2.zip
6. Save the 464K zip file into your MS Flight Simulator download
directory:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ
7. Extract the contents of that that zip file into the new download
directory:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ\
Aeronca Champion\{model,panel,sound,texture,Aircraft.cfg,A eronca
7AC.air}
gauges\*.gau
champ.jpg
Readme.txt
8. As always, read the fine instructions:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ\Readme.txt
9. Copy the entire "Aeronca Champion" folder into the FS2002
"aircraft" folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\aircraft\Aeronca Champion\
10. Copy the 9 "gauges" files (not the folder!) into the FS2002
"GAUGES" folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Games\Fs2002\downloads\aeronca_champ\gauges\*.*
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Fs2002\GAUGES\*.*
11. The readme recommends "Aaron Swindle's cub sound cub2x2sn.zip",
but,
I coud not find that file despite Google searches and specific
searches at:
http://www.fsd-international.com (search for "cub2x2sn.zip")
http://www.fscorner.com/sounds.htm (search for "cub2x2sn.zip")
http://www.surclaro.com (search for "cub2x2sn.zip")
http://www.fsfreeware.com/dcd/FS2004...index-269.html
http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/shigeru/civil.htm
etc.

So, I left this Aeronca Champion taildragger using the default
links
to the Cessna 182 sound file.
12. Start up Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 & fly the Aeronca 7AC
taildragger!