Old January 7th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Default Flapped Glider Recommendations...

On Jan 7, 8:03*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
snip
Since I also help friends rig an Apis or two, then watch G102s and
PIKs and an Open Cirrus struggle to get hooked up, I'm a bit gunshy
about heavy and non-automatic-hookup aircraft. *Perhaps unnecessarily
so?

SNIP

It's taken a few goes to get the hang of making the connections in my
glider, but it really doesn't take long though I do get someone else
to check it after I've taken it to the launch point. It has hoteliers
with sleeves so the trick is to be able to do three things at once
with one's hand. I guess it helps I've got a smaller hand than the
average guy, plus the hatch has a camming device to hold it on so no
need to tape it for that purpose.

However, the elevator is self-connecting. I was told that there have
been a lot of accidents with mis-connected elevators, including one
where the owner rigged correctly and went away. Someone else took the
elevator off for some reason and put it back unconnected. The owner
winch launched, realised there was a problem and at the top of the
launch bailed out, thankfully successfully. I've also been told that
the person that fiddled with it has since gone on to become an aircaft
accident inspector!