Old April 3rd 20, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Seminole Lake Glider Port.

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 7:18:02 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I remember getting around 1,300' using an 1.800' straight rope, but
that was on a dry lake bed with practically unlimited distance for
the tow car.Â* My pulley tow had the pulley attached to the back of
the tow car.Â* HERE
is raw video of me in my LS-6 during shooting for a program aired on
ESPN back in the 90s.Â* I got a bit enthusiastic near the top of the
climb causing the tug to lose traction.Â* The passenger in the Jeep
was Emerson Fittipaldi, winner of the Indianapolis 500.Â* He was the
host of the show.Â* The opening scene is not me, it's a couple of our
members doing a low pass for the show.
We did the same thing back in the late 70's in Miami at the old Kendall Gliderport. The tow vehicle was an old station wagon and we were able to get our auto tow rating back in the day when it was a rating instead of endorsement.

On 4/2/2020 12:11 PM, John Foster
wrote:

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 11:33:19 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Ive got 1800 ft of spectra and a schweizer towhook mounted on a trailer reciever. The part I need to build is an electric reel for retreaving the line.
Dan

How high do you get with that rig, Dan? I'm interested. I've been pondering a design for a pulley that can be mounted to a trailer hitch receiver to do reverse auto tows. I'm considering a 4,500' length of Dyneema to be used on our 4,800' runway, but I also need to get signed off for ground launches first as well.

--

Dan, 5J