Old April 4th 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default Seminole Lake Glider Port.

My club, Southern Eagles (Butler, Georgia, USA) got it’s start doing ground launch with an old LTD and a truck wheel pulley mounted to a trailer hitch. 4500 feet of dacron rope and a 5000’ runway got our Ka-7 to 1600 or more if there was some headwind. The beauty of the pulley launch was the 2:1 mechanical advantage. Acceleration on launch was very rapid like a winch and the tow car needed to go no faster than 30 mph at most (we usually hit maybe 28 mph in no wind). Low vehicle speed meant we could even operate off dirt. Sometimes got single seaters to over 2000 if we had a bit of wind on the nose. We still have the pulley and Tim McGowin recently bought 4000 feet of dyneema. We gonna get back into the ground launch biz. Hey Dan, maybe we come up Sylacauga way and do some ground launch with y’all after all this social distancing is over.