Old August 12th 03, 09:17 AM
Dylan Smith

Default Kinda morbid I guess, big iron enroute ditching

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:59:41 -0700, hillbilly_hippo nmonkeyTAKEOUTSPAM@
whidbey.net wrote:
While reading through my collection of airliner safety cards, I came
across the overwater ditching procedures for the 777. While reading, I began
to wonder. How many larger (Boeing, Airbus etc) airliners have ditched while
enroute without massive casualties. Maybe I'm just not well informed, but I
haven't heard a single story of a non-disasterous enroute big iron
ditching...

Well, any airliner ditching is a bit of a disaster, even if no one dies.

There was a Boeing Stratocruiser which went down in the Pacific many
years ago with very few casualties or loss of life. There was also a
Boeing 707 more recently which crashed in Lake Victoria in Africa
in a CFIT accident. The 707 remained largely intact (the landing gear
came off, and so did a couple of engines). There are photographs of
the 707 on a few websites if you do some Googling around.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net