Old November 20th 04, 11:15 PM
Bill Denton

Let's assume that I am completely wrong. Wouldn't we all have been better
served had you provided correct information as opposed to simply pointing
out my error. I can't learn anything from that.

Given your credentials, could you not have provided me, and many others,
some useful information?

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 121...
"Bill Denton" wrote
You take an airplane to 1,000 ft AGL, and trim it so it is flying
perfectly straight and level. You then close the throttle slightly,
resulting in a slight descent. Even thought you are still flying
straight and level, eventually you will impact the earth, even though
the airplane as a whole (and probably all of it's component parts) are
still "flying".

No Bill..."straight and level" means maintaining heading and altitude

You then take an airplane to 1,000 ft AGL, and trim it so it is flying
perfectly straight and level, but this time you completely close the
throttle. In a short time, the wings will stop producing enough lift
to keep the airplane in flight, it will pitch down and impact the
earth, even though some of the airplane's component parts may still be
flying.

No Bill...in this case, the aircraft will pitch down to maintain the
trimmed airspeed and the airplane WILL NOT stall. Yes, it will descend
until it impacts the ground, but at no time will the aircraft stall.

It is this second condition that most people consider to be a stall.

No Bill...it is called a glide

But since my terminology may not be correct,

Boy...you hit that nail on the head

it is obvious that I am neither an aeronautical engineer, a physisist,
or as yet a pilot

Yes Bill...that is absolutely obvious

I think it is also evident that I do understand at least the basic
principles involved in the discussion.

No Bill... you do not.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727 L-188
Flight Instructor Airplanes and Instruments (since 1970)
Naval Aviator S-2F P-2V P-3B !958-1967
PanAm (retired)