Old July 10th 03, 12:32 AM
Eric Greenwell

In article ,
says...
Third attempt

It was the day after the 5 hour flight. Figured out how to
declare electronically. Got off tow, flew the out and return
total over 160+ km. Didn't have a landing witness. Apparently
towpilot verifying the logger is in the glider and then
towing and releasing is not enough.

This should have qualified as well. I don't believe the landing
witness has to actually see you land.

When using GPS flight recorders, IGC requires the witness to see your
takeoff and landing, and record the time and location on the runway
that you lifted off and set down. The witness doesn't have to be the
official observer, but someone acceptable to them. The idea, I
believe, is to have at least two points of actual observation (a
reality check so to speak) to match to the flight file.

Personally, I'd like the requirement to be changed to only one
observed point for badges, at least for 500K and below. The tow pilot
can usually serve as the witness at the start; and it avoids the
problems of getting a witness at the landing, when you might land off-
field or at a different airport, or after everyone has gone home.

I find the simplest thing to do is to seal the recorder to the glider
in accordance with IGC procedures, then the OO doesn't have to be
present for the landing or takeoff, as control of the recorder is
assured by the sealing.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)