Old July 10th 03, 12:42 AM
BTIZ

aren't electronics fun... just do it the old fashion way.. with cameras and
baro..

can't help a baro spring breaking during calibration.. Sh%% happens..

your crew finding you at the remote airport is not a "landing witness"??
hmmm

BT

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
I really think that a pilot who flies from release
to a point more than 50km away should get Silver
distance (as long as that point meets the altitude
loss requirements).

I also think it's probably so hard to falsify an
.IGC file that verifying the logger and the pilot
are in the plane for takeoff can be an alternate
method instead of needing a landing witness.

My first Silver badge attempt

flew to an airport 55km away. Circled for an
hour waiting for the tow/retrieve pilot to
show up and witness the landing. Sent in the
paperwork, sent the baro for calibration. Baro spring
broke during calibration. Couldn't calibrate.

Second attempt

Volklogger auto-declared some random course for me. Invalidated
previous declaration on paper. Flew 5+ hours, furthest point
was 80+ km away. Came back and landed. Sent in paperwork.
Got altitude and duration only, no distance. (Fortunately
the logger altimeter calibrated fine).

Third attempt

It was the day after the 5 hour flight. Figured out how to
declare electronically. Got off tow, flew the out and return
total over 160+ km. Didn't have a landing witness. Apparently
towpilot verifying the logger is in the glider and then
towing and releasing is not enough.

Fourth attempt

Took off for an out and return of 300km. Made it halfway,
then started back and landed out about 60+ km from off tow.
Since I got off tow at 2800, despite hovering over the
landout at 5000 for a while, at landing there was too
much altitude loss. No Silver distance.

Fifth attempt

Plugged the logger in, then got the declaration signed.
Flew a 120km+ triangle just as declared, including 10K+
altitude gain. Since the more recent declaration (written)
counted and the flight was completed, and one leg was greater
than 50km, it counted for silver distance. Observer watched
the landing (but had to wait around to witness it).

Does this seem a little complex?