Old September 16th 03, 06:34 PM
Marc Ramsey

"John Cochrane" wrote...
Here is the proposal: before the finish, you have to be above 500 feet
AGL in a donut from 2 miles out to one mile out. If you don't make
this altitude limit, you will be scored for distance points when you
land at the airport. When the actual finish is a line, you may then
dive down and cross the line at the usual altitude.
The proposal removes the agonizing points vs. life decision. If you
don't make it with a 500 foot margin, you don't get speed points. Make
your decisions based only on safety. If it's safer to squeak it in to
the airport, do so. If it's safer to land in the good field 5 miles
out, do that. Forget the race.

I hate to sound like one of those libertarians, but I have to say this proposed
rule goes too far. I defend the right of every contest pilot to find new and
creative ways to kill themselves, where I draw the line is when they threaten to
take me along with them. I'm fully capable of making my own decisions as to how
high to finish, and whether I'd be better off landing in a good field. The
problem I have with low altitude finishes (particularly with MATs) is that once
I finish, even at a comfortable altitude, I then have to contend with the
possibility of gliders coming in fast and low from various directions. I have
enough trouble landing safely on my own, I can do without the extra distraction
caused by a near miss.

A rule requiring 500 feet at the edge of the finish cylinder, and a reasonable
penalty for a rolling finish, pretty much eliminates this problem. Messing with
donuts and taking away speed points for coming up short is probably only going
to result in rebellion...

Marc