Old September 16th 03, 09:11 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article , bmaclean2
@cox.net says...
I take great exception with your paragraph that starts
"Why? Sooner or later, you will find yourself in that awful situation."
Actually, the great majority of contest pilots NEVER find themselves in that
situation. Ever. If this has been a problem for you, I think you need to
rethink your strategies.

How did you determine the "great majority of contest pilots NEVER find
themselves in that situation"? My personal experience, and discussing
contest days with the other contestants over 25 years, is that most
pilots will find themselves in that situation at least once, and
frequently several times during their contest career.

It is particularly likely to happen during a contest with poor
weather, or where the contest airport weather routinely dies early. It
is less likely at areas like Minden, where the final glide starting
height is "enforced" by mountains like the Pine Nuts.

Regardless, I'm not sure if I'm in favor of this rule, but I wouldn't
mind trying it. I see no problem managing it with my glide calculator.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)