Old October 10th 03, 02:45 AM
Thomas Schoene

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
news:Zmghb.528215$Oz4.404911@rwcrnsc54
I don't know about now, but I do recall one particular conference
back in 1989 or so, when we were doing the Dem-Val of AIWS (now
JSOW). The USMC rep was adamant that they could not accept the
concept of an autonomous standoff weapon used for CAS targets in
close proximity to friendly Marines.

The Marines were the primary instigators of the 500-lb JDAM, specifically
for CAS. I'd say they changed their mind sometime after 1989.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)